Setting up of the Reserve
Regional Law no. 41 of 27 December, 2016
(Publication no. 125, 27/12/2016, Official Journal of the Calabria Region. Official corrigendum no. 126, 28/12/2016 published in the Official Journal of Calabria Region)
1. Calabria Region under the law no. 394 of 6 December 1991 (Framework Law about protected areas), in application of the art. No 2, letter “r” of the regional Statute and of the art. no. 6 of the regional law of 14 July 2003, no. 10 (Rules concerning protected areas), in order to guarantee and maintain a satisfactory conservation status of species and habitat as covered in the annexes to Community directives 79/409/EEC of the Council; of 2 April 1979 concerning the conservation of wild birds and 92/43/EEC of the Council; of 21 May 1992, concerning the conservation of natural and semi-natural habitat and wild flora and fauna, according to the dispositions of the Italian Presidential Decree of 8 September 1997 no. 357 (Regulation implementing the directive 92/43/EEC), establishes Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve, as public authority.
2. Within the framework of Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve, in accordance with art.24, paragraphs 2 and 3 of the regional law 10/2003, areas of different scheme of conservation and utilization have been identified and delineated in addiction to their graphic individuation in the attached cartography which is an integral part of this law, so that they are distinct as follows:
- natural integral reserve;
- natural guided reserve;
- natural special reserve.
Description of the area
1. The area of Valli Cupe identifies three geographically distinct territorial scopes. All of them are characterized by common naturalistic elements of great ecological and landscaping value.
2. The protected area is concentrate around the urban centre of the Municipality of Sersale and it consists of the following three bodies:
- the Stretch of Valli Cupe trench, made by the Valli Cupe Canyon and Plateau Mountain Raga;
- the Stretch of Campanaro Torrent, which includes the Campanaro Waterfalls, Inferno Waterfalls and many others;
- the Stretch of Crocchio River which includes the Gorges and Crocchio Waterfalls, the Monolith of Pietraggìallu and the majestic trees of Cavallopoli.
3. The territory hosts the typical fauna of the Apennines areas, such as many species referred to in the directives 79/409/EEC and 92/43/EEC. It is characterized by the wealth of woods and the presence of a rich native flora which represents a heritage of considerable scientific value also in terms of biodiversity. Furthermore, plentiful ones are the species known as officinal herbs.
1. The Region recognizes the value of natural habitats as fundamental structures of the morphology of the regional landscape and primary benchmark for the creation of the regional ecological network.
2. The landscaping valorization of Valli Cupe protected area is intended to achieve the following goals:
- safeguarding and improving the natural aspects of habitats through a careful stewardship of land and water resources in order to enhance ecosystems and biodiversity that already exist;
- protecting specific dimensions of vegetation and specific geo-morphologic traits of bodies which populate the protected area;
- preserving the forestry heritage also through the improvement of existing woods and regeneration of the degraded ones;
- caring for biotope, geological and geo-morphologic formations, paleontological resources with relevant historical, scientific and cultural value;
- defending flora and fauna as well as the strict relation between vegetation and forest;
- increasing the value of both the natural landscape and the man-made one, the added value of sceneries and sights, the ecological balance and the genetic heritage along with the improvement of both the productive function and the social one of the protected area;
- regulating the correct use of the territory and fostering the knowledge of nature through the environmental education of citizens and boosting life conditions by the construction of infrastructures in order to make the protected area more accessible;
- incentivising economic and entrepreneurial activities in line with the objectives of the current law in order to contribute to the development of internal areas, such as the realization of measures aimed at encouraging and making agro-forestry activities more profitable;
- preserving and promoting the network of goods and works of historical nature that testify the various territorial spheres as integral part of the protected area, in addition to the requalification of backgrounds scarred by environmental and landscaping degradation in line with the aims of the current law.
3. The purposes quoted in the paragraph no. 2 of the law are to be carried out through the following initiatives:
- promotion of educational, training and scientific research activities including cross-disciplinary approaches along with active policies aimed at involving citizens in their spare time in parallel with an improvement of the quality of life;
- valorization and safeguarding of customs, traditions and habits of non-native resident communities as well as typical cultural expressions and identity of local ones;
- promotion of initiatives aimed at decreasing energy demand and at calling for a rational use of energy above all through energetic systems deriving from renewable sources compatible with the naturalistic and landscaping framework;
- promotion of scientific knowledge of the ecosystem, with particular attention at endemic and rare species in order to provide for safeguarding measures of the ecosystem, such as the development of agro-tourism, biologic agriculture, services and leisure activities in line with the environmental characteristics of the place;
- support and promotion of leisure activities and tourist facilities present in the territory by the development of agro-tourism, biologic agriculture, services and leisure activities in line with the environmental characteristics of the place.
1. Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve is composed by the following three bodies:
- the Stretch of Valli Cupe trench and Plateau Mountain Raga;
- the Stretch of Campanaro Torrent;
- the Stretch of Crocchio River.
2. The Stretch of Valli Cupe trench and Plateau Mountain Raga fall entirely within the territory of the Municipality of Sersale.
3. The Stretch of Campanaro Torrent falls within the territory of the two Municipalities of Sersale and Zagarise.
4. The Stretch of Crocchio River falls within the territory of the Municipality of Sersale and it shares its borders with the Municipality of Cerva.
5. Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve borders are set out in the attached mapping at scale of 1:25.000 and the areas of distinct classification are precisely indicated in the same map, as required in the article 24, paragraph 2 of the regional law 10/2003.
Classification, control and coordination measures of the management
1. Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve consists of areas of distinct degrees of protection, distinguished by the following classification:
- natural integral reserve;
- natural guided reserve;
- natural special reserve.
2. The control and coordination measures of the management are implemented according to the articles 26, 27, 32, 36 and 37 of the regional law 10/2003.
1. The management of Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve is empowered by the Municipality of Sersale on the basis of the particulars required by articles 6, paragraph 10 and 26 of the regional law 10/2003.
2. The operating expenditure of Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve incurred by the Municipality of Sersale are supported by Calabria Region by an annual contribution which is determined by the approval of the regional Stability Law.
3. The registered and operating office of the managing authority is determined in accordance with article no 8 of the regional law 10/2003.
The naturalistic development plan
1. The managing authority is called upon to elaborate the naturalistic development plan by six months from the publication date of the present law, according to the rules set out in article no 27 of the regional law 10/2003, in collaboration with Parks and Protected Areas Department of the Calabria Region.
2. In any case prohibitions set out in the regional law 10/2003 shall be applied.
Regulation of the Reserve
1. The regulation is drawn up by the Managing Authority of the protected area together with the Naturalistic Development Plan as integral part of it, according to the article 19 of the regional law 10/2003, and it regulates the pursuit of activities permitted within the territory of the Natural Reserve.
Signs placement deadlines
1. The borders of the protected area and of the classified ones, such as Natural Integral Reserve, Natural Guided Reserve and Natural Special Reserve are delimited by proper signs placed in a visible position along the perimeter of the area by six months from their very institution; it follows that they shall be maintained in good conditions of conservation and readability containing the following statement: “Calabria Region – Valli Cupe Natural Regional Reserve”.
1. The Managing Authority of the Reserve shall provide a dedicated information desk or a telephone line or an online access by ninety days from the approval of the regulation as referred in art. 8.
2. The Managing Authority of the Reserve shall provide a dedicated information website portal containing the following sections:
- Thematic, institutional and normative section:
1) the composition of the Management Authority and its bodies;
2) the borders;
3) the Reserve Plan;
4) the regulation;
5) all the official documents of the Management Authority open to public scrutiny;
- Thematic section of promotion:
1) a graphic representation of the territory;
2) characteristics of places of interest of the Reserve with descriptions and photo archive;
3) vegetal species with descriptions, photo reports and individuation of higher presence areas;
4) animal species with descriptions, photo reports and individuation of higher settled presence areas;
5) a pamphlet for tourists containing information on road network and conditions, localization of sites of greater interest, a reference book about the rules in the Reserve, the emergency services points, the telephone numbers and the website of the information desk of the Managing Authority;
6) a list of all the municipalities territorially concerned besides those ones of the province of Catanzaro with the related links to the official websites.
- Thematic section on promotion of tourism services and agro-food firms:
1) a list of all the firms – to be updated at least every three months – in the field of tourism, such as accommodation services and restaurants, willing to get advertising shall have a dedicated web page whose content is agreed between the firm itself and the Managing Authority along with a graphic representation of the place;
2) a list of the firms in the agro-food supply chain field providing local products or bio-based ones through the same method quoted in point 1;
3) a list of craft workshops, ancient arts or handicraft trades, through the same method quoted in point 1;
- Thematic section on promotion of events and initiatives:
1) a list of initiatives and events organized by the Managing Authority with relevant information, web pages or external links for further information;
2) a list of initiatives and events promoted by the municipalities territorially interested in the Reserve. As to do so, all the municipalities territorially interested in it and the province shall communicate all the events or initiatives to the Managing Authority. It follows that they need to fall under the finalities of the Reserve, as referred in art. 4, with the obligation of publishing them on each municipality official website.
3. As referred to in paragraph 2, the thematic online portal can contain additional details concerning the follow-up of the purposes of the Reserve, see art. 3 of the present law.
4. All the municipalities and the provinces territorially interested in the Reserve shall set up on their own web portal an external link to the Managing Authority website.
5. The Managing Authority shall publish a tourist naturalistic guide of the Reserve at the latest by 24 months from the approval of the Regulation.
1. The expenses deriving from the present law are charged by the Managing Authority.
2. Calabria Region supports the activities referred to in art. 3 of the present law exclusively through an annual contribution in favor of the Managing Authority, due regard to the availability of funds in the regional financial statements.
3. As regards the financial year 2017, the contribution is of €100.000,00 – as referred to in paragraph 1 – with allocation to “Mission 09 – Program 05”.
4. From 2018, the contribution – as referred to in the previous paragraphs – shall be awarded upon submission of the expenses report of the managing authority, accompanied by a documentation certifying the expenses incurred and the goals achieved.
5. As referred to in paragraphs 2 and 3, for the year 2017 the financial charges at the expense of Calabria Region are covered by the funds available in “Mission 20 – Program 3 Other Funds – Chapter U0700110101”, concerning the “Fund required to meet the charges arising from legislative measures that will be finalized after the approval of the financial statements, bearing the current portion charges”. While for the succeeding fiscal years, they are covered within the limits allowed by the effective availability of autonomous resources, as established by the law approving the regional budget estimates.
Implementation of the law
1. The present law enters into force on the day following its publication in the Official Online Journal of Calabria Region.
Dr. Carmine Lupia
Lawyer Salvatore Torchia